If you are a strong leader with experience leading microbiology testing and method development, this role will excite you. Anandia is adding a Manager, Microbiology to oversee and direct the activities of a group of high-performing scientists and technicians. This role will encompass both management and hands-on activities on a daily basis, ensuring that our routine testing pipeline runs smoothly and the group is able to adapt to the needs of our evolving and growing client-base. Efficiency and strong leadership are a must for this role.
It’s a great opportunity for a motivated scientist with 5+ years’ experience looking to apply their management and technical skills in a rapidly growing industry. Join us as we move into a new, state-of-the art lab in the Great Northern Way tech hub (minutes from the VCC-Clark Skytrain station) and expand nationally and internationally.
On any given day, you’ll be doing one or all of these things
- Manage department and oversee laboratory staff;
- Act as a technical resource to address and resolve inquiries and problems related to microbiological concerns, environmental monitoring and lab testing;
- Develop, implement and/or refine procedures in conformance with company/laboratory guidelines and regulatory requirements;
- Verify microbiological testing data;
- Document and report results to clients;
- Work with Director, Quality Assurance to implement ISO 17025 / GMP accreditations;
- Use standard microbiological techniques in assays: pipetting, streaking plates under biosafety cabinet, Gram staining, DNA extraction (plants and microorganisms), PCR and qPCR assays;
- Perform fungal identification (microscopy- and molecular-based);
- Safe handling of biohazardous materials and chemicals/reagents;
- Participate in safety and biosafety procedures and processes;
- Maintain familiarity with regulations as they pertain to microbial testing requirements in cannabis (e.g. ACMPR, USP, Ph. Eur.);
- Handle non-routine microbiological testing requests;
- Develop and validate new microbiological assays (cultivation and molecular based);
- Write and maintain standard operation procedures (SOPs) and standard testing methods (STMs);
- Support, when required, our client services group with client inquiries; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
Desired skills and experience
- BSc or MSc in Microbiology with minimum of 7 years of work experience, or a PhD with minimum of 5 years of work experience in a microbiological laboratory;
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or similar industry is preferred;
- Experience working in a regulated environment (GMP / GLP / ISO);
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot;
- Experience working with risk group 2 bacteria (Biosafety Level 2 laboratory);
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently under pressure to recognize and resolve problem efficiently and effectively;
- Ability to prioritize and multitask;
- Must demonstrate good sterile/aseptic techniques in the lab;
- Must have Good Documentation Practices;
- Availability to work flexible hours, including weekends;
- ISO 17025 standards specific experience is an advantage; and
- Plant pathogen knowledge an asset.
Who is Anandia?
Anandia was established to provide the science, technical innovations and services that underpin the global cannabis industry. Voted the Top Testing Lab at the 2017 Canadian Cannabis Awards, Anandia provides the full suite of testing services required by Health Canada for licensed production of cannabis, and also develops and offers a number of other tools that may be used by our clients for breeding and product development. Anandia is focused exclusively on cannabis, with the aim of bringing the best of modern science to the cannabis industry for the benefit of cultivators and consumers. A stronger scientific foundation enables us to maximize the full potential of the cannabis plant, developing new value-add products, while ensuring safety, quality and improved cultivation efficiencies.
Anandia’s strong emphasis on high-quality science is represented by our skilled and experienced team who are also passionate about cannabis and the potential the plant presents for humankind.
We value a culture of teamwork and collaboration within our own organization and with our clients.Apply now