We are looking for a self-motivated, detail-oriented Safety Officer to join our award-winning team of cannabis science experts. Assurance testing is a cornerstone of Canada’s regulated cannabis industry, and this role is critical for the provision of those services to Anandia’s clients. As a third-party testing facility, it is imperative that the candidate has the ability to handle confidential information and situations. The Safety Officer will be involved in the implementation of strong safety metrics in the largest cannabis-dedicated testing lab in Canada. Join us and continue to make Anandia the gold standard in cannabis testing.
On any given day, you’ll be doing one or all of these things
- Safety Documents: currently 15 HSE docs on Qualtrax that require regular maintenance and review.
- Manage SDS – ensure up to date, accessible, and training provided to staff.
- Safety Audits – weekly, monthly.
- Hazard Assessments – lab and office.
- Inspections for eye wash, showers, and general lab area.
- Ergonomic assessments.
- Safety Orientation – create and maintain. Provide in-person training on first day and follow-up training after that at regular intervals.
- Safety Incidents – log and follow-up on, track and monitor LTIs, coordinate modified duties, WCB claims.
- Establish Safety Metrics/KPIs.
- Order PPE, manage signage around the lab, maintain safety boards with key contacts, critical safety documents.
- First Aid Group – coordinate training and ensure coverage for all shifts.
- STMs/SOPs – ensure safety sections are appropriate.
- Emergency Response Plan – develop, maintain and train. Evacuation plans, fire alarm drills etc.
- Fire extinguisher maintenance.
- Regulations and compliance – environmental considerations.
- Facilitate monthly meetings with safety committee to review Safety Incidents/Near-Misses and proactively bring up safety topics to roll out to all departments.
- Annual review of safety program.
- Global implications – roll out safety program to other labs.
- Primary contact with building management to ensure safety and healthy work environment.
Desired skills and experience
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of provincial and federal health and safety guidelines
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel is required
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Excellent time management & multi-tasking abilities, as well as a high level of energy and ability to provide an exceptional level of customer service to internal and external customers
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills
- Detail and results oriented with the ability to multi-task, and adhere to deadlines
- Demonstrate initiative and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to handle highly confidential information and situations
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety
- Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- 3-5 years’ experience in Health and Safety role, within a commercial laboratory an asset
Who is Anandia?
Anandia was established to provide the science, technical innovations and services that underpin the global cannabis industry. Voted the Top Testing Lab at the 2017 Canadian Cannabis Awards, Anandia provides the full suite of testing services required by Health Canada for licensed production of cannabis, and also develops and offers a number of other tools that may be used by our clients for breeding and product development. Anandia is focused exclusively on cannabis, with the aim of bringing the best of modern science to the cannabis industry for the benefit of cultivators and consumers. A stronger scientific foundation enables us to maximize the full potential of the cannabis plant, developing new value-add products, while ensuring safety, quality and improved cultivation efficiencies.
Anandia’s strong emphasis on high-quality science is represented by our skilled and experienced team who are also passionate about cannabis and the potential the plant presents for humankind.
Anandia is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aurora Cannabis Inc. Aurora is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.Apply now