Anandia was established to provide the science, technical innovations and services that underpin the global cannabis industry. As one of Canada’s leading cannabis testing labs, Anandia provides the full suite of testing services required by Health Canada for licensed production of cannabis, and also develops and offers a number of other tools that may be used by our clients for breeding and product development. Anandia is focused exclusively on cannabis, with the aim of bringing the best of modern science to the cannabis industry for the benefit of cultivators and consumers. A stronger scientific foundation enables us to maximize the full potential of the cannabis plant, developing new value-add products, while ensuring safety, quality and improved cultivation efficiencies.
Anandia’s strong emphasis on high-quality science is represented by our skilled and experienced team who are also passionate about cannabis and the potential the plant presents for humankind. We value a culture of teamwork and collaboration within our own organization and with our clients.
Anandia’s Health Canada licensed laboratory is located in Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the scientist, Breeding and Genetics, the Laboratory Technician will assist in the development and implementation molecular biology protocols, and in the compilation and analysis of plant phenotyping and genotyping data. This position involves activities in plant cultivation and laboratories as well as some office duties. The successful candidate will work closely with the Biotechnology & Molecular Biology, the Plant Breeding and Plant Tissue Culture groups.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extract DNA and RNA from plant tissues, and perform quality control on isolated nucleic acids;
- Perform PCR & qPCR assays and gel electrophoresis;
- Assist in multi-step preparation of genomic and cDNA libraries suitable for next generation sequencing;
- Prepare materials, media, buffers, and solutions;
- Assist with plant cultivation;
- Work with tissue culture team to perform sterile tissue culture procedures;
- Assist in development and troubleshooting of new techniques and ideas;
- Work with the Plant Breeding group to assist with the collection and analysis of phenotypic data;
- Assist with data maintenance and organization using software such as Excel, R, etc.
- Record data in laboratory notebook and computer databases;
- Follow laboratory standards and SOPs;
- Contribute to overall lab organization and tidiness; and
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of BSc or technical certificate in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry or related discipline;
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a laboratory environment;
- Excellent molecular biology skills;
- Experience working with DNA and RNA, including performing qPCR assays;
- Experience working on molecular cloning an asset;
- Experience in tissue culture an asset;
- Accurate attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot experiments;
- Good organization skills, ability to meet deadlines, and accurately record data;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Ability to work with a dynamic, fast-paced team.
- A unique opportunity to work in an exciting and growing new industry.
- Competitive base salary compensation with bonus potential.
- Comprehensive benefits including extended health care, dental, and vision plans.
- A team culture founded on our values of Integrity, Discovery, Collaboration, and Transformation.