Anandia was established to provide the science, technical innovations and services that underpin the global cannabis industry. Voted the Top Testing Lab at the 2017 Canadian Cannabis Awards, Anandia provides the full suite of testing services required by Health Canada for licensed production of cannabis, and also develops and offers a number of other tools that may be used by our clients for breeding and product development. Anandia is focused exclusively on cannabis, with the aim of bringing the best of modern science to the cannabis industry for the benefit of cultivators and consumers. A stronger scientific foundation enables us to maximize the full potential of the cannabis plant, developing new value-add products, while ensuring safety, quality and improved cultivation efficiencies.
Anandia’s strong emphasis on high-quality science is represented by our skilled and experienced team who are also passionate about cannabis and the potential the plant presents for humankind. We value a culture of teamwork and collaboration within our own organization and with our clients.
Anandia’s Health Canada licensed laboratory is located in Vancouver, BC.
Anandia is searching for a Scientist – Microbiology to join our Testing Division as we continue our rapid growth. We are looking for a highly-motivated individual with a “can-do” attitude. The ideal candidate will manage a high-performing and efficient microbiology team that is focused on delivering high-quality results in a fast-paced laboratory environment. He/she is familiar with the microbiological testing regulations for cannabis and will help ensure laboratory compliance with quality assurance systems. Knowledge and experience with both traditional plate-based, and molecular, assays is required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Managing microbiology staff and scheduling sample analysis;
- Using standard microbiological techniques in assays: pipetting, streaking plates under biosafety cabinet, Gram staining, DNA extraction (plants and microorganisms), PCR and qPCR assays;
- Performing fungal identification (microscopy and molecular based);
- Verifying microbiological testing data;
- Documenting and reporting of results;
- Maintaining familiarity with regulations as they pertain to microbial testing requirements in cannabis (e.g. ACMPR, USP, Ph. Eur.);
- Handling non-routine microbiological testing requests;
- Developing and validating of new microbiological assays (cultivation and molecular based);
- Working with QA Manager in the implementation of ISO 17025 / GMP;
- Writing and maintaining standard operation procedures (SOPs) and standard testing methods (STMs);
- Safe handling of biohazardous materials and chemicals/reagents;
- Participating in safety and biosafety procedures and processes;
- Supporting, when required, our client services group with client inquiries;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of a BSc or MSc in Microbiology
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a third party testing microbiological laboratory or similar;
- Experience working in a regulated environment (GMP / GLP / ISO);
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot;
- Experience working with risk group 2 bacteria (Biosafety Level 2 laboratory);
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, team environment;
- Multitasking capabilities;
- Must demonstrate good sterile/aseptic techniques in the lab;
- Must have Good Documentation Practices and attention to detail;
- Available to work flexible hours;
- ISO 17025 standards specific experience is an advantage;
- Plant pathogen knowledge is an advantage;
- Must pass a RCMP Criminal Records Check.
- A unique opportunity to work in an exciting and growing new industry;
- Competitive base salary compensation with bonus potential;
- Comprehensive benefits including extended health care, dental, and vision plans;
- A team culture founded on our values of Integrity, Discovery, Collaboration, and Transformation.